BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Reference levels and how to be able to see objects on their level and above + above

Surika11
Contributor

Hi all!

With my team that consists of 4 students including myself we ran into a problem before being able to design a building in our school.  There are 2 whole levels (not including the ground floor) + the attic space and the basement. That alone wouldn't be a problem but we ran into 2 problems, this building also has an approx. 17m extension which also has the base level and another floor and that plus floor is a bit higher than the one in the original building. The second problem is that there is also a library connected to the original building from the 2nd floor and that is also a bit higher on top of that long extension. Now that wouldn't be a problem with the 2 reference levels Archicad gives us but the library also has a higher level. What can we do to be able to work on all those levels? My other question would be is, if I am correct in Archicad we have the options to see for example a wall on its current level and 1 level above or below. Is it possible to set this to current level and above as much as there is? Also I attached a section plan to be able to imagine what I talked about in my first question. You can't see the library because it wasn't built when this plan was made.

Operating system used: Windows 11

387494313_1492422974934968_8153352474970859992_n.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
mthd
Ace

Hi @Surika11, that section through explains things quite well for us. I am no expert with multi levels and split levels. I don’t know how familiar you are with cut plane settings and heights but they can be used to display the different plan views on each story level. (In order to work on elements in each plan level)

I would set your floor level heights for each story in accord with the main building on the left hand side of your drawing. So you can navigate each floor or story level in the navigator on the right side of your screen. When you need to see an overlay of the floor above or the floor beneath then use the Trace and Reference functions. That would be my basic strategy.

Others here can provide you with more specific help. In the mean time search “floor plan cut planes” and “trace and reference” for training videos and help. Have fun.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Thanks for the answer, that might work for us I'll have to talk about it with my group but that can be a starting point. Though I'll wait for more answers if anyone can help more in this.

This may help - 

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/Cliff-Side-Building/m-p/582182#M169909

I've taken to creating more 'stories' so as to control my plan content.  Others use less stories and just make cuts through.  A few different approaches, depending on the team, project, scope of services, and deliverables.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

Thanks for your answer, yeah that is a good approach too and it definetely helps!

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!