BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solar shade in elevation? Rotating from plan?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm trying to use the solar shade straight 11, but it only shows up in plan... I can arrange it in elevation but when I go to 3d it doesn't show up.

The block is exactly what I need, I just want to rotate it around and stuff and use it vertically....

Help?
Thanks so much :]
8 REPLIES 8
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tdellaqu wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to use the solar shade straight 11, but it only shows up in plan... I can arrange it in elevation but when I go to 3d it doesn't show up. The block is exactly what I need, I just want to rotate it around and stuff and use it vertically....
OBJECTiVE will provide the tools you need: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

It provides a range of tools for creating and manipulating 3D objects, including 3D rotation. With OBJECTiVE installed, you would do the following:
1) Select the object to rotate in the floor plan (Solar Shade Straight 11 in this case), and select the menu OBJECTiVE/Tools/Rotate
2) Click to define a rotation axis and angle of rotation (you can use Tracker and the standard coordinates palette too if you wish)

When this is complete:
3) The object is shown rotated in plan with hotspots placed around it.
4) You can also see the rotated object in 3D

Additionally:
5) Once an object has been upgraded by OBJECTiVE (for rotation or splitting), you can also place it directly in the elevation window as you tried earlier. ArchiCAD's standard behaviour is that objects placed in elevation only appear in that view, but OBJECTiVE automatically makes it part of the 3D model. It also enables you to rotate or split the object in this view (and the results are also part of the 3D model)
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yay! it works! It makes me sad though that I can't copy-paste my rotated objects to other stories - it reverts to the original object

And I have 11 stories and lots of sun shades
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, it only kinda works. Whenever I open up the file it re-loads everything and the object goes back to the way it was in the first place. Is there any way to freeze the object other than using favorites? Favorites doesn't save the rotation.

Thanks
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tdellaqu wrote:
Okay, it only kinda works. Whenever I open up the file it re-loads everything and the object goes back to the way it was in the first place. Is there any way to freeze the object other than using favorites? Favorites doesn't save the rotation.
There appears to be a bug in recent versions of AC11, but I'm not sure when it appeared. AC8-AC10 are fine. ArchiCAD is forgetting the selected object type, and reverting to the type it was originally placed with.

To work around this:
  • - alt-click on the rotated sun-shade. This will activate the object tool and set it to place rotated screens.
    - click to place a new sun-shade.
    - delete the original rotated sun-shade.
Provided you keep placing rotated sun-shades with the object tool, you can copy and paste to other floors and it will hold the settings when you save and reopen.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tdellaqu wrote:
Yay! it works! It makes me sad though that I can't copy-paste my rotated objects to other stories - it reverts to the original object
An update to OBJECTiVE is now available (v2.14) which works around this problem. You will now be able to rotate and copy/paste to other storeys without problems.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
This sounds fabulous, but I only see v.2.12 up there
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tdellaqu wrote:
This sounds fabulous, but I only see v.2.12 up there
Use "Refresh" in your web browser and/or clear the browser cache, and try again. To be certain of the add-on version, check the "About" window (from the OBJECTiVE menu).
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph Wessel's solution worked like a charm.

I downloaded the new Objective, but when I get the about info on it in archicad it insists that it's 2.14. Anyway it should be good now. I alt click copied it, and the pasted object didn't revert after I re-opened my project file. Good!

Thanks
Learn and get certified!