BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solid element operation not working

Sandramuller
Contributor

I have a landscape mesh and a floor slabs as patio. I want to use the SEO with upright function. I just did it with two other areas without problems but this patio doesn't want to do anything to my mesh. 

Tried substraction only and it seems to do it but I need the upright  function.

Removed all target and operation from both of them but it says it does it in the list but it doesn't do anything.

Any idea?

Screenshot_20230905_112800_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230905_112756_Photos.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
mhoude
Booster

Check your building material priority

I did and it didn't make a difference.

I continued on a different part of the model and later it worked. (After trying things for ages originally)

tonyfitz
Booster

Did you work out what was the cause of this issue ?

I am having a similar problem with random functionality of SOEs,   Some work and others using same type of elements don't.

I did also have at one point some of them not working then I think I did a restart and they were all working properly.  Just don't want to have to do restarts continuously to see where I am at.

Tony Fitzpatrick
Head of BIM
www.aw2.fi

Co-Founder / CEO
www.the bimcrowd.com

If elements automatically trim (or they have been connected already) there will be no collision and therefore SEO will not work.

Select your elements in 3D and look closely at the highlighted edges to see if there.

BarryKelly_3-1701914827527.png

See how the slab automatically cuts the column - the slab is a stronger material than the column.

Because there is no collision you will not be able to SEO the column from the slab.

Likewise, SEO subtract the slab from the column will do nothing as it is already taking place.

SEO of the slab from the column with upward or downward extrusion will work however, because the slab is solid and can cut what is above or below it.

But if your column is stronger than the slab.

BarryKelly_4-1701914898893.png

Now you can see the column is automatically cutting a hole in the slab.

Because the slab now already has a hole, you can not SEO the slab from the column with any method.

The slab is not solid where the column is, so there is nothing to cut with.

So it may just depend on how your elements are already connecting.

Meshes however do not take part in automatic trimming, so I am not sure why that would not be working.

Again, select the elements in 3D and see if they are already being cut.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

The issue was gone the next morning. Not sure whether it was the restart or sth I did.

Let's hope I don't have the problem again but I agree with Berry but the helpline was checking those out

Learn and get certified!