Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Viewing and comparing multiple designs choices

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I am rather new to ArchiCAD. I was wondering if there is a simple way to save multiple views of alternate design choices?

For example, let's say I want to compare what a room looks like with red carpet and blue carpet. How can I save two views of the project, one with red and one with blue carpet that can be quickly compared? Views don't seem to save material attributes, instead displaying only the current values.

Layouts appear to be for documentation and publishing. Putting each colored carpet on a distinct layer would create redundant objects. Creating separate project files for each distinct attribute would rapidly grow impractical. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Kerry
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
With layer combinations and saved views any number of variants can be achieved: I have done this on a residential aprtment project successfully displaying adaptable housing furniture layout alternatives for residents requiring special access needs.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Another method usually recommended is to use Hotlinked Modules for the Design alternatives. You can search for it in the Forum, it has been discussed several times before.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
When the design alternative consists simply of material assignments, an easy answer is attribute manager (AM).

Create a new material called 'conference room carpet' (e.g.) that is a copy of blue carpet for your example. Put a space in front of the material name so that it sorts to the top of the list. Repeat for other elements.

In AM, select those materials (or all materials), overwrite (NOT append) to the right and save in a file called 'Design One' or whatever. Change the materials to your second design choice. Repeat. Now, just use AM to load the materials for each design choice.

When the design is physically different, then I would go to the approach of using layers, hotlinked modules, or markup tools. When it is only different in surface or edge appearance, I would use attribute manager.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A few discussions to help you:

Material change as per Karl's suggestion is here.

Using Teawork for different building design alternatives is here.

Cheers,
Link.