BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Who uses Clone folders? And Why?

lagodue
Newcomer
This is an offshoot issue from an earlier post of mine involving View Set folders that are Clones.
I can't understand the logic behind them, and the dox shed little light on them as well.
Who are using Clone folders in their Navigator View Sets and Why?
"Bob" - Church of the Sub-Genius
Graphisoft afficionado since 1993
3 REPLIES 3
Me.

If you clone, e.g., the S/E folder: When you create new S/Es, you don't have to remember to save new views, they save themselves. Without clones, I would be in PM, doing the five-click routine to tunnel down to import a new view, and oops, I forgot to save it.

So I have a clone of the S/E folder for sections, and a clone for interior elevations, with their respective settings. Then I have S/E naming conventions which alphabetize the list in each view set folder. So yes, I have building sections in my interior elevation folder, but the naming scheme makes it easy to visually skip over them.

The advantage for plans is less, because you're unlikely to come in one day and create 16 new plans, but I use them anyway. A clone for architectural, framing, RCP,...

I don't use clones for details because the scales vary too much.

Clones create obnoxious names by default ('...(Autorebuild Model)'; who cares!), which is a non-feature, but I don't use PM drawing titles so it doesn't bother me.

I would like clones to be 'stronger'. As it is, you can actually redefine one view in a clone with a different scale, e.g. I would rather the views in a clone be permanently defined by the clone folder settings. Less chance of error.

Having auto-populating view folders generally streamlines the import workflow.

IMHO,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I would use clones in archicad if I could define the folders in the project map to match what I want in plotmaker. As it exists, the project map is set by graphisoft and i cannot modify it.
I do use clones within plotmaker for all of our print/dwg set for publisher. These seem much more useful to me than the archicad view sets.
Anonymous
Not applicable
clone works great for multi-storey projects. I have a viewset in the office templte set up with a clone of the Stories folder for each type of plan - demo, partition, rcp, power, finish, etc. A user starts a new project, creates their 4-storey project, and all the views are created for them by default. no messing up the saved views...

hth
wes
Learn and get certified!