BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Zero thickness wall components

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Archicad. I am making a wall library in ArchiCAD 21 and trying to figure how to handle the insulation. Since I am listing the acoustic values of the walls, it is important that I list the specific type of insulation used...not just that there is insulation. So far the best way I can think to do this is to make the insulation a zero thickness component right next to the stud or furring channel whose cavity it sits within. Are there any issues with having zero thickness components? I've already figured out how to work the material takeoffs with a custom components schedule, so that's not a problem.

Only other way I can see is to have the studs and insulation as one material and create a different material for ever possible combination of stud/insulation (which will be hundreds!). This would be a nightmare to schedule properly as you couldn't separate out the studs from the insulation.

Any help or insight appreciated!
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
Searching here I have found at least 2 posts that mention problems.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=58141&p=273688&hilit=zero+thickness#p27368...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=50279&hilit=zero+thickness

I wouldn't make a zero thickness skin but you could make it a nominal 0.1mm (or similar if imperial units) and reduce the width of the furring channel skin by the same amount, so as not to affect the overall width of the wall.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Barry.

So it sounds like zero thickness layers should work, but ArchiCAD currently has glitches when they're used.

As I'm making this library for a manufacturer, I don't like the idea of reducing component thickness to less than their actual width as accuracy is everything to these guys. Guess I don't really have a choice, hopefully they fix the glitches in ArchiCAD 22!
Learn and get certified!