BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

layer combos keep resetting layer priorities please help!

Anonymous
Not applicable
it seems ive posted this in the wrong section mods please move to the other problems:

so i was working on doing some minor maintenance on my template today. mainly layer and layer combos. however i cant seem to figure out whats going on. everytime i try to use the element attributes to update my other drawings, or even a copy of the template. well the layer priorities reset. and not only that but when i open the layer dialog every priority is set to 1. if i click a combo the layers themselves flash the correct priority number. but then go back to 1. if i try to use the quick settings after using the element attributes it keeps me on a custom layer combo. if i select a different one, it jumps back to the custom. if i double click on a story in my view map it flashes the correct combo but then just goes back to the same custom as before. i rely quite a bit on these priorities and it has cost me most my day trying to figure out why they arent working. any help would be so much appreciated.

EDIT:if i open a drawing before my updates, and i create an aat file for just layers and layer combos, then save the drawing and close it. reopen and import the exact layers and combo's i just exported. the same issue arises rendering the drawing un editable with out recreating the combos or going back to the original before the updating of layers. i hope graphisoft gets this fixed soon. or i guess i hope im not the only one having this issue. going to go back to the previous build (3002 from 3013) to see if the issue exsists there as well and was just un noticed.

edit #2: even going back to b3002, and even with the stock archicad setup the issue is constant.

If anyone could test this issue for me it would be much appreciated. just to i can confirm if its somehow my machine or not. the issue also happens on another machine here at work but i would like to be 100% sure its not user error

thanks

EDIT #3 i thought i should add that if i down save to 16 then the same behavior in the file still happens. also that drawings that have not been touched by the element attribute manager do not have the issue of defaulting to a custom layer combo.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
one more thing to add, if i only overwrite the layers them selves in a drawning that has not been touched by the element attributes previously, then i can add my newly created layers from the aat file. so it seems that the issue lies solely with the layer combos. once i import the layers, if i manually update each combo once the layers are imported, then the issue is resolved. so it only happens when you use the attribute manager to update layer combos.
good to know that. thanks.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just opened a blank project with AC17 default template and used the default visualization profile. Using Attribute manager I opened an AC16 file and overwrote all layers and layer combos of the AC17 originals with my AC16 aat values.

All behaviors of layers and priorities are fine. No resets. I am able to use, close, reset individual priorities and also sort by priorities without any odd behavior.

Secondly I used Att Mgr to import ONLY the layer combos from an AC14 file. Still no odd behavior. NOTE: I am importing attributes from the full pln, not a saved aat file. I presume you are importing atts from a plt file, could be the plt behaves differently than a pln in this instance.
Anonymous
Not applicable
MarkMoscrip wrote:
I just opened a blank project with AC17 default template and used the default visualization profile. Using Attribute manager I opened an AC16 file and overwrote all layers and layer combos of the AC17 originals with my AC16 aat values.

All behaviors of layers and priorities are fine. No resets. I am able to use, close, reset individual priorities and also sort by priorities without any odd behavior.

Secondly I used Att Mgr to import ONLY the layer combos from an AC14 file. Still no odd behavior. NOTE: I am importing attributes from the full pln, not a saved aat file. I presume you are importing atts from a plt file, could be the plt behaves differently than a pln in this instance.
try opening the default ac 17 template file. then open the layers and change one or two of them to have different priorities. then open the attribute manager and save the layers and layer combos in an .att file. close and reopen the attribute manager, open the newly saved aat file and overwrite the layers and then combos. does it still be have properly?

but thank you, when i use a pln and not an aat file everything works perfect a very simple work around
Anonymous
Not applicable
Followed to the letter, everything works fine.

I saved L and LC out to an aat file, reopen att mgr to re-import save and close att mgr, then in the Layer settings window changed priorities to 9 on various layers - hit the update button on the layer combo side and all is well. Re-opened layer settings again, changes still as per recent changes no mickey mouse. Used the organize by priorities column a couple of times - still rock solid.

Only thing I can add is that this is a totally empty file opened just for this test. Only contents is whatever the default AC17 template loads.

My machine is a Dell 8100, couple years old
Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
AMD RADEON HD 6450
Primary hard disk 481GB Free (916GB Total)

Windows 7 Professional 64b
AC17. fix=3002
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did notice one behavior that is different from before. I used to be able to update the layer priority from the layer combo side without having to hit the update button. In 16 and before any change to the combos is "done-done". However now I do have to hit the update button for any layer priority changes made while working from the layer combo side of layer palette.

HTH

PS when I request an update status on my AC USA version I am informed that the 3002 is "up to date". You seem to have a 3013 update, is that right?
What locality version is your AC?
Barry Kelly
thepsyntyst wrote:
try opening the default ac 17 template file. then open the layers and change one or two of them to have different priorities. then open the attribute manager and save the layers and layer combos in an .att file....
When you are changing the layer priority number are you also updating the layer combos as well?
If not then the AAT file you are saving will have layer combos with the old priorities so you will just be re-importing the old settings.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
MarkMoscrip wrote:
PS when I request an update status on my AC USA version I am informed that the 3002 is "up to date". You seem to have a 3013 update, is that right?
The thread announcing ArchiCAD 17 Hotfix 1 (build 3013) is here:
ArchiCAD 17 Hotfix 1 (build 3013) released
I don't know why the Check for Updates... does not work on your end.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
well the issue i have is when i import from an aat, even if i start a new one and just use the base archicad template. what happens is once i over write the layer combos with the aat new old doesnt matter, once i apply the changes and close the attribute manager my layer combo is stuck on custom and cannot be changed. however when i load the layer combos from a pln all is well and works the way i would expect.
Learn and get certified!