BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

PROPERTIES: Issues just getting started

Aurasphere
Advocate

Well after decades using listing...one of the best but cubmersome features, I am trying to migrate stuff to using properties which the first couple of tuts...well it couldnt do it without fudging eg Room Illumination...but thats another issue (you CANNOT easily run priced BOQ from properties

I am simply trying to do the following but Im not getting something about the flow of datatypes and its certainly not obvious or friendly from my perspective but maybe its the siltation from listings

1. I choose area datatype and do a basic if statement to extract gross site area from a zone

Aurasphere_1-1707368027860.png

Error!

Aurasphere_0-1707367974466.png

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

HI.. YOU need to include area unit to 0.00 value.. e.g 0.00m2 , or 0.00ft2,etc  in order to match all your variable types.

fr here :

ToperBarrientos_0-1707369360282.png

Apple M1 Pro CPU
RAM 32 GB
1 TB OS: Ventura 13.1

View solution in original post

Solution
Barry Kelly

It is just a small thing but easy to miss - the units for all outcomes must be an area.

IF (Zone Category= "Site", Calculated Area, 0 m2 )

If the zone category is not "Site", then it must be 0m² and not just 0.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Solution

HI.. YOU need to include area unit to 0.00 value.. e.g 0.00m2 , or 0.00ft2,etc  in order to match all your variable types.

fr here :

ToperBarrientos_0-1707369360282.png

Apple M1 Pro CPU
RAM 32 GB
Solution
Barry Kelly

It is just a small thing but easy to miss - the units for all outcomes must be an area.

IF (Zone Category= "Site", Calculated Area, 0 m2 )

If the zone category is not "Site", then it must be 0m² and not just 0.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Cheers

Never had to deal with supplying formatted datatypes...weird from previous ie GDL

so an appended eg 'm2' applies the formatting...interesting

I watched a bunch of GS vids on youtube and I dont recall seeing any of this...but I had on 1.5x

Thanks

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

@Toper Barrientos ,

You beat me to it!

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks

ok but you dont have to cast the type though right? ie 0.0

I thought GS always used FP which is why FP = FP was always a no no

It would have been good for the vids to make this very easily missed point clear

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

@Aurasphere , @Barry Kelly   🙂

let's just say GDL has its rules.. as well as expression-based properties has its own.

something an State has its own jurisdiction.. "i should adhere to their rules-- else i suffer"

I wonder why GS cudnt make a global ruling for this. 🙂 , nonetheless--pretty enjoyable to dabble on this.

Apple M1 Pro CPU
RAM 32 GB

ToperBarrientos_0-1707371375927.png

In reverse, when deriving a linear value ,e.g--say  fr a volume unit data , u wud need to cancel unit area like>>"volume/m2" to make the result become a length value.   OR say a unitless value = "volume/1M3"  .. very tricky indeed.

Apple M1 Pro CPU
RAM 32 GB

FYI: To add to which everyone has already said: In any expression, Archicad first error checks the expression by first checking that all return values are applicable  (classified) for the intended element type, then checks if all return units match that selected as the return unit. If any variable fails, the expression is deemed invalid. It does not matter if a variable can not be reached in the logic.

There are also occasions when you just want to return a number, as in returning a calculated currency value based on area or length, etc.. In that case, you simply divide out the final unit to return no units. i.e. (area m2/ 1 m2) -- returns just a number. Archicad does not have a currency unit -- so you have return a number or convert it to a string

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27

I think the frustration for me is that its still using all the formatting for strings etc and very familiar but STR is left out. To make is more confusing, it seems that its looking for the subscript as the cast identifier...even weirder

I can see properties could be very good but relying on the pipelines of data that are either still incomplete or dont work; re the yt room illumination example

It is just not even close to a listing replacement but it seems suitable for other kernel like piping

BUT

you can access any of it via GDL and STILL cant access project info other than wrapping it

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Learn and get certified!