BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Standard GraphiSoft Metric Template

MikeC
Booster

I have recently installed the US version of ArchiCAD, so when I create a new project there are two templates available: AC27 Template.tpl and ArchiCAD 27 Generic Template.tpl which are configured in Imperial.  Where can I find the equivalent GraphiSoft standard installed metric templates that I assume would be available when starting a project elsewhere in the world?

Thanks,

Mike

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based 13.6.3 Ventura

Mike Covill – Advanced Heritage Designs – AC 27 Solo on Mac
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly

Just change your working, calculation and dimension units to what you want.

Ensure all views are set to use the metric dimension style that you set up.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry, thanks, I could do that, but I think (not sure) there's a lot more to it than that.  For instance, if I place a wall with a layer composite that is 5-1/2 inches, it would display as 139.7 mm.  But no one in the metric world would be sizing walls like that. I want to be able to create designs that are actually sized in metric, not just converted.

Mike

@MikeC wrote:

if I place a wall with a layer that is 5-1/2 inches, it would display as 139.7 mm. 

Of course. (where is that head slap emoji)

Your attributes will be referring to imperial sizes as well.

You could fix all those up as well, but it will be a manual process.

Someone from US or Canada may need to reply to say if there is available a metric template.

Or maybe you local Archicad support (distributor) may have something set up?

Otherwise, you could download the INT version and use the template from that.

But then it may not have any US-centric attributes.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Though it you are using a metric template, I assume the job is not taking place in the US so not having US-centric attributes would not be such a big issue?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Alas Barrry, there is nothing. We've had to make one ourselves which is fine, but the lack of a metric template extends to issues with operations like opening an IFC file, opening a metric DWG, not to mention units for structural analytical files.

These should be in the box. Have been asking for a longtime, but it falls on deaf ears.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1

the hard conversion of preset elements is also very irksome.

Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
MikeC
Booster

So, I contacted my local rep - thanks Barry! - and he gave me the following advice...

REP: "The best way to get it is through the INT version. Download it and you get the metric library. Just don't mix and match the 2 libraries. But if you do, you will need to be careful about the libraries."

ME: "Does that mean I can use both installations, depending on the project?"

REP: "Yes, but keep the projects separated. Just don’t exchange files, objects or copy/paste between the 2 templates without checking your attributes.

It has different doors and windows, but the biggest issue pertains to attributes. An object has a fill assigned to it and that fill has an index number that points to a different fill within the other version. All this can be resolved through the Attribute manager, but it can be a hassle."

Mike

respectfully, the rep's suggestion is nothing more than a workaround.

Archicad USA needs a metric template..., and a hockey rink object.

Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1

I completely agree. It seems totally bizarre to me that one isn’t available. Or that they don’t have a more elegant solution. Setting aside another 9GB of my hard drive is a little painful. 

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!