BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Surface Schedule not displaying custom properties

sheena
Contributor

Good day,

I would like to create a Surface Schedule showing the exterior surfaces used on the walls. I'd like it to display the Exterior Surface Code, Swatch and Exterior Surface Name.

What I did so far is that, on the Surfaces, I added the Exterior Code on the Surface Name with an underscore to separate the two. As shown on the picture below,

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.33.09 AM.png

I created a customized property to extract the finish code from the surface name using the split function. As shown on the picture below,

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.32.22 AM.png

I also created a customized property to extract the surface name without the finish code, using again the split function.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.32.39 AM.png

Now, when i created a surface schedule extracting the exterior code and exterior surface name, it won't show. As shown on the picture below,

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.33.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.41.10 AM.png

I tried to create an element and component schedule to extract exterior code and exterior finish name, it shows but the problem is that I can't extract a surface swatch which is only available on the surface schedule.

Is there anything I missed why it does not show on the surface schedule the customized properties? Hope someone can help. Thank you
@MinhNguyen @EmokeCsikos

3 REPLIES 3
MinhNguyen
Advocate

Hi, I no longer work at Graphisoft, anyhow this is an interesting one. Based on the expression, have you tried applying any surface override to the wall? Here is an example:

MinhNguyen_0-1700539081526.png

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

sheena
Contributor

Ohh I see Minh. Congratulations on your new position as BIM Manager 😍 

In regards to my concern, I have already applied the override on the wall. As shown below,

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 1.18.40 PM.png

MinhNguyen
Advocate

Thanks 😄

Taking another look at your screenshot, I could see that the schedule was set up to be a surface schedule. Expression is applied on Element level, meaning it reads the data from the wall. Here, I assume, that since you added the expressions to the Surface schedule, the expression no longer works (as the Outside Face Surface is a parameter of the wall itself and not for the wall's surface - hope that makes sense). I set up a similar schedule in Element, and it showed up correctly for me:

MinhNguyen_0-1700546824357.png

P/s: I used Splitleft and Splitright for the expressions

MinhNguyen_1-1700546967605.png

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

Learn and get certified!