Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Wall Composite? Pic 1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm wondering whether I can control the 2D Represetation of Wall composite at different scale
Pic 1 is the the way I want at general plan/scale
Pic 2 is the way I want at partial plan: showing more detail with brick fill and layers of render outside (Please see the next post for this image)

Anybody know how?
Please advise

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the pic 2 for the same post
Barry Kelly
This is exactly what the "Partial Display Structure" option does in version 12 (and I assume 13).

You need to set up your composites with all the skins and you can tell each skin if it is a core component, finish component or neither.

Then adjust the partial display structure option to get the plan/section view you require.
The partial display is saved with the view points.

Just be aware that the dimension you place in partial display option will not appear in the others.
So you will need to re-dimension for each display option if the dimensions are needed.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Sorry after re-reading your post I see you want it controlled by scale.
You will just need to set up view points for the plan at various scales using the different partial display options.
Then it will all be automatic as you choose the different views.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks alot Barry. I figured out your advise.
However I am also wondering: Say at small scale (1/200) I wanna show the only skins of wall (without the core) and with Fill, but at the large scale (say 1/50) I wanna show entire structure (this is easy to do).

The reason is I don't wanna to have wall's dimension omitted the skin in any situations

Is there a way for it ?

Thanks
Barry Kelly
I don't think so.
The core is always visible in all partial views.
It could possibly work the way you want if you could make the outer skins the cores but unfortunately the core skins can not be separated by a non-core skin.

If you want to dimension the finish (non-core) skins at smaller scales then unfortunalety you will have to have them showing along with the cores - negating the need for the partial displays in the first place.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Tran,

You can do tricks that can work at some scales by assigning particular pens to the skins and fills and then having custom pen sets that turn those pens to white (invisible is not an option) so that the core skins, for example, do not show up.

Your first image showed that you wanted the brick fill to fill the entire wall cavity - but the brick fill would stop short of the exterior skins. At a small scale, it might not be noticeable. If you want any of the fills to not show in certain drawings, again, replace the fill pen with a white pen. All of this requires a lot of discipline in assigning pen numbers particular functions - which is why the new (in 12) Partial Structure Display was so welcome. Yet, even with it, pen tricks can sometimes help.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl
I'll try

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

Perhaps I'm missing something... But in this situation I'd use model view options...
It doesn't fill the wall with a single vectorial fill, but the solid soft colored fill works like a charm for me.

HTH.