Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Comments and answers please

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a rendering that I am very pleased with, so I'm after some feed back from people who know a lot more than me. So much of what I have learn't has come directly from Dwight's book and without it I would have been very lost.
My questions are:
1. What is the best size to render at for a 'noise' free print. This one was rendered at 2000 x 800 at 350 dpi but still came out with a lot of pixilation on the front left side, in the shadows.
2. What is the best way to slope the block to match the driveway which has a specific slope (I did it manually by adjusting the appropriate nodes on the mesh). I have used the solid elements operation but I don't want the driveway to follow the contours of the mesh, I want the mesh to follow the driveway which is made up of slab and roof objects.

Thanks for any feedback/help
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it looks pretty good, but just a couple of things:

1) All the colours are very bright and cartoony - desaturated them a bit in photoshop.

2) The deck and grass textures repeat to soon, making them look like cheap vinyl tiles. Try larger images.

3) The red, blue and white walls seem very flat, try giving them a slight texture - somewhere in Dwight's book there is a bit on roughing up flat surfaces.
Dwight
Newcomer
The pixellation is in your shadow resolution from the sun object. Double the sampling rate and then see what happens.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice. I'm going try it all.
The shadow resolution? Is that the one in the photorendering settings? if so it was turned up full and on 'by lamp seettings'.
Dwight
Newcomer
Post your sun settings including object, camera AND photorendering settings.

how it is done
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
really snazzy stuff!

what are your sun & light settings?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I have been away from my computer for a while.
Dwight, I followed your link of how to send sun settings but still couldn't figure it out. Did I miss something?
I think it is very impressive that you can produce that image with a CAD program straight out of the box.

Maybe Graphisoft should come to a deal with Dwight and include with the installation package a few pre-cooked scenes and material settings that people could use as templates for their first attempts. Even PDFs of his book, or a taster of his book --perhaps 0.05% of ArchiCAD buyers must be $100 book buyers, I would think it must be very easy to come to a deal that includes the package with every license at a negligible additional cost.

It is the initial laboriousness of the whole thing which becomes a huge unnecessary hurdle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I completely agree. There is so much in Dwights book that I could never have learn't myself, no matter how many late nights I spent. It could only make Archicad easier to learn.
Dwight
Newcomer
I am planning a series of short e-books that address specific Archicad issues. Like: The sketch rendering engine, making Archicad more like SketchUp, Archicad Lingo for [your idiot] Bosses, etc.

Each would include illustrations, instructions and Archicad attributes and templates. It would be easy to provide some basic light setups.

Please make suggestions for additional topics.

Will advise when ready.
Dwight Atkinson