BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Creating Custom Lights

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question; what's the best way to create custom interior lighting / lights?
(without going into complex GDL scripting)

I mean does everyone here just model up the light and then plug a light source in?

I've also noticed that there is a "Glass Lamp" material. Is it a matter of modelling the light and then applying a material to give it its luminance?

Personally I've tried both and both haven't been that fruitful... I find that I get some HORRIFIC results when trying to model a light bulb and then planting a Spot Light Source inside it...

Is it just me or does the Intensity Value for Spot Light doing absolutely nothing...

Will be glad to get some insight to how you guys model your own custom light / light sources

New_Xieland
1 REPLY 1
Dwight
Newcomer
I am killing some time waiting for my lighting programmer to complete his work down here in Denver, so i'll address your questions.

First, you should see my book where each of the light sources are explained in detail. The book also explains in detail how to build light fixtures. No one using Archicad and LightWorks and seeking passable work would use the lamp objects to illuminate a scene since they take so long to adjust. Lamps are mere props in a photographic scene lit by photographic lighting: mainly the general light source.

Think like a photographer.

Yes, you can build any fixture and place a light source in it, but this often causes sharp, shadows. One places the light source in close proximity to the fixture, not necessarily in it.

The lamp glass is a constant glowing material that immitates a lamp turned on. It is fake. But it does lead us to emulating vast ceilings of fluorescent fixtures that appear to be "on" but don't add to rendering time.

Lastly: the spot light is obsolete - use a tightly focused light cone instead.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!