BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

JPEG 2000 - wtf

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a major issue, but for some reason my 3d render window now saves to JP2 (jpeg 2000) format by default. Why would this happen all of a sudden, it used to be good old JPG? Slightly annoying when you do a 30minute sketch render, saveas, close the render window, go to open the image and find it is not a compatible image type! Re-render!

BTW the censored item in the title was the letters W and T followed by an F
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
Get with the times. The default happens to be at the top of the list and it doesn't remember the last file type you picked.

They must have given this to the new guy. The one with the basement office. The same idiot who fixed my ArchiCAD rendering Save dialog to not allow deletion of the file name - you can't start from nothing anymore in making a new name. duh. Infuriation.

Dubbl-U Tee Eff!
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Get with the times. The default happens to be at the top of the list and it doesn't remember the last file type you picked.

Dubbl-U Tee Eff!
Never noticed it before. Didn't know it existed.
Dwight
Newcomer
It was with all those other formats that got made just before the new millennium to defy the mythical clock crash that was supposed to happen. Ha.

Some of the other formats have fallen by the way side. Death Race 2000, to name one.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK

So now it saves to JP2 and it can maintain an update-able hotlink to a layout...

But paraphrase Mstr Dwight, the program for rendering is worthless alone, better to call it Archishop or PhotoCadd or something.

I almost never model an entire building to perfection, there is always too many changes to keep it super clean for renderings. So I like to do some editing in Photoshop.

But Photoshop 7.0 (its what I'm using) doesn't edit JP2. Does an upgrade? (wrong forum, i know..)

I can set it to a std jpeg in publisher, and then clean it, but then I might accidently publish over an edited version...

So is there any benefit to the new jp2?

Thanks.

Nathan in New York
Learn and get certified!