BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

64 BIT PROCESSING

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have run into several problems as a result of ArchiCAD's 32 bit programming limitations. I have 8GB of ram and can only use 2GB of it for ArchiCAD. Some of the large urban planning projects are just to big for the software to handle. I was hoping the new ArchiCAD 11 would finally be a 64 bit program. I think the result of switching the software to 64 bit is so apparent it is unquestionable.

1. It increases the ram and model handling capabilities to an almost limitless level

2. It will allow those of us who have 64 bit machines to fully utilize the resources at hand.

3. You only have to switch the software once. It will be hard and probably costly to reprogram the software but it will be worth it.
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
AC is already 32 times better than any 2-bit CAD program
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
chriszolezzi,

I understand your reasons for making AC 64-bit, however re-coding a 32-bit application is not as easy as to do 2 x 32 and ta-daa we have 64... it means a significant overhead in terms of GS coders who could be used on more 'hot' features / fixes instead. Secondly, the vast majority of users are still on 32-bit OS and that means porting AC to 64-bit would not give an immediate benefit to those people as oppose to eg. multi-core / multithreaded AC (which is a must, I reckon).

I believe AC will go 64-bit one day but I can not see it as a priority now.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
for the most part the current ArchiCAD ie (AC-11) is a multi core multi-threaded software. The only operations that I have experienced that are not are the 2-D manipulation and internal renderings.

yes moving Archicad to a 64 bit process would not do anything to the people using 32 bit machines however the entire industry is moving to 64 bit and it is a one time transition. Once that transition is made when you go and buy that new MAC Pro that you have been eying for the last year you will be able to do things with archicad you never thought possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm in agreement with Rob here - a proper multithreaded version of AC is an absolute no-brainer, and a much higher priority than 64-bit. I'm guessing, but I reckon it would save me at least 10 times more time each day than a 64-bit version.
gpowless
Advocate
Archicad is supposed to be a cutting edge CAD technology. Taking advantage of 64 bit AND quad core technology should be a no brainer.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Electric Flute
Booster
It´s time for 64 bit.
So we should have 2 versions, like ArchiCAD 12-32 bit and ArchiCAD 12-64 bit
3ds Max has both.
AC26 > AC5 - Win10
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Archicad is supposed to be a cutting edge CAD technology.
Archicad is really impressive software but it is not cutting edge CAD technology. if you are after a sort of software look at CATIA or similar, however I doubt you would be able to afford it.
Taking advantage of 64 bit AND quad core technology should be a no brainer.
Mate, clearly you do not understand what you are talking about thus it is no brainer for you.

Quad technology (as you call it) is virtually using multithreading and parallelism which can be achieved on 32-bit platform too.

32-bit or 64-bit is a platform in broader terms in regards to whole system... from addressing space to floating point maths etc...

So, you've got three options to speed up AC performance (having 64-bit quad CPU):
1. multithreading that allows you to use all 4 cores (more or less at the same time) and still running 32-bit application or,
2. port whole application to 64-bit with benefits available to people running 64-bit OS only (and still using 1 core!)
3. or both (64-bit and multithreading)

given the numbers of Win users based on 32-bits the option no.2 is unrealistic. I do not think that those users would share your enthusiastic views being forced to upgrade to 64-bit Win to get full AC speed up benefits.
In case of Mac people it would not be a big deal as the latest OSX is 64-bit by default.

I reckon no.1 will work for both groups. it is simple...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't get me wrong I do agree that multi-threading the entire application would be a beneficial improvement. The thing is that both tasks are inter-related and should be tackled at the same time. The thing is both the multi-threading of the application and the leap up to 64 bit are both intensive and comprehensive upgrades requiring almost a complete reworking of the base code.

by the way a computer insider told me that by the end of next year you wont even be able to buy a 32bit system. Everything is moving forward and I think ArchiCAD should as well. Just look a the pole the majority of the people agree.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
by the way a computer insider told me that by the end of next year you wont even be able to buy a 32bit system.
again, not so fast... as your friend is probably talking about Microsoft's decision to phase out XP and switch completely to Vista.
However, there is no love for Vista among win users (I have tried it as well - a bad omen, that's what it is, and I do not wish to drag this discussion into Mac vs Win fight, seriously)... BTW Dell was forced to allow for 'downgrading' program from Vista to XP after a vast number of complaints about Vista's shittyness.
Learn and get certified!