BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Better control of default design option

The default design option is set to main model when opening a view where the current default is inactive. This becomes quite an annoyance when working on multiple options concurrently as it first forces the user to keep track if the default changes or not and if then reset it to the correct option. Otherwise elements will be added to the main model instead of the option. 

Although the problem is obvious the solution is not. Having a prompt smilar to when trying to create an element on a hidden layer would be rather tedious, having default option saved as a view setting would run into issues with multiple option sets in addition to the added management.

This is a drawback of the shortcut approach taken by GS where design options just adds more of complexity for the user to manage without bringing much to the CAD/BIM table. Design options should be about distinct states of the model (as outlined here) and not about about separation of elements within one state. For the latter we already have layers and it should be noted that enhancing layers with the functionality of design options rather than introducing a new feature could have achieved the same result but with the bonus bringing a substantial increase in efficiency for the layer based workflow which GS is determined to stick with.

33 REPLIES 33
Barry Kelly

I don't understand the problem.

Activate the design option you want and everything you model will be in that design option.

It is exactly the same as setting the renovation status so you model with the correct renovation status.

Or setting the correct layer so you model in the correct layer.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Absolutely !

Edit: I concur with what @thesleepofreason is saying above.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

The problem is not that the default option isn't working or that it is impossible to control which option is default. The problem is that it it currently is a pain to work on multiple design options concurrently using views as you have to reset the default between every view change. This is a problem of intuitiveness and efficiency - not efficacy.

As to your examples. Yes, the user obviously has to set the correct layer but the default layer is not set to the Archicad Layer when change to a view where the current layer is hidden which would be the analog to issue with design options. And yes, changing to a view where the current renovation status is hidden will change the default status but renovation statuses are conceptually quite different from design options making it less of an issue, if one at all.

It should also be noted that both layers and renovation status are outdated and should not be held as a standard for new workflows or development. But what the examples do show is that it that the current development is making the model increasingly complex for the user to navigate as we now have to keep track of layers, renovation statuses/filters and design options all of which effects input and visibility. The increase in complexity will continue as long as GS keep adding marketable quick fixes rather than coming up with a clear and coherent vision of how AC should enable and support the designer in a modern CAD/BIM environment. 

Another attempt on a solution would be to have default set as a view setting rather than default option - inputting on the active option in the default set. As only one option can be active per set there is no problem with ambiguity. Compared to default option as a view setting it removes the need to create one view per option, cutting it down to one view per set.

This would be an obvious solution for the simple case with just one set making it possible to change between views of the different options without having the default set back to the main model. For default sets without active option it would be intuitive to get a prompt to either activate an option or choose the main model as default.

I am glad that you can see through this just like many others of us do too.

@thesleepofreason wrote:

The problem is not that the default option isn't working or that it is impossible to control which option is default. The problem is that it it currently is a pain to work on multiple design options concurrently using views as you have to reset the default between every view change. This is a problem of intuitiveness and efficiency - not efficacy.

I think I may be understanding your issue.

Views save the layer combination, scale, pen set, renovation filter, graphic override, design option and more.

So create a view for everything you want to see/use in a layout if you don't want to manually change settings.

Views do not save the next layer you will use, the next scale, the next pen, nor the next renovation status, or the next design option you want to place an element in.

As has always been the case, you tell Archicad what you want to do when you place an element.

Conveniently we have the pipette tools to copy an element's settings.

However, when you pick up an element's settings (pipette tool), it will set the layer, pen colour and many other settings to match that element.

However it will not set the renovation status or design option - you still have to change these manually in the respective palettes, before you model your element.

So I think if the pipette tool had the ability to select the renovation status and design option of an element, this would be a big help.

Is that what you are wanting too?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
mthd
Ace

IMO I am not even looking at attempting to use “design options” just yet because with overlapping elements, things can get very messy not to mention confusing. I would rather save the file as option 1, option 2 and so on. I know you have extra files to look after but that is just necessary. I prefer to create layers for all of my elements. OP1 slab, OP1 external walls, OP1 internal walls and so on. 

I might have something to learn about DO’s but in the AC27 upgrade training you had to have a knowledge of HLM first to understand DO’s fully. I didn’t so I left it at that. However I might be convinced down the track if someone creates a training video on the benefits of using DO’s from scratch. 

The renovation work flow is necessary and good and has had time to develop. I think from what I have read about DO’s, it also needs time to develop.

@mthd ,

There shouldn't be any overlapping elements.

One design element will take the place of another design element.

i.e. you would never have 2 alternate walls active at the same time.

Don't use separate plans or extra layers.

Give Design Options a go - it really does work quite well.

Keep an eye on this new challenge.

There is only one entry so far.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Your-Best-Design-Option/con-p/design-options

You will see how simple it really is.

Save a new view for each option.

Then just click on the view to see each option.

No overlapping elements, no extra layers, no extra files.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Barry Kelly Yes sounds good from your recommendations if we do not get any overlapping elements. I need some training on how to use them first before I try. I have seen the challenge info post. 

Thanks.

Learn and get certified!