BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Save AC 3D as 3D MAX file format plzz

giza
Booster
I think that in future Archicad we should have the : "save as> 3D MAX format", we need this to save us troubling with .3ds and other formats,

Sorry if this wish is already in other threads but I didn't find it.
Gezim Radoniqi | Architect | BIM Manager @ 4MGroup
ArchiCAD user since version 6
AMD Ryzen 3950X CPU, 64 GB RAM, NVidia RTX 3060 12GB
3 REPLIES 3
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Giza,
I find it hard to belive that there are other programs that can save out in a .max file format. I haven't seen any any way.
May be there are? But whats seems to be the problem with the 3DS file format?
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
owen
Newcomer
Actually it isn't possible. The .MAX file format is a proprietary Autodesk format ... so only Autodesk products work with it (it is not licensed to 3rd parties like Graphisoft).
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Electric Flute
Booster
Owen is right, so .max file format is out of question.

Actually, 3Ds Max chose DWG as the official file format to import geometry from other Autodesk softwares like Revit. The utility in Max that allows you to manage linked files is called "File Link Manager". It only works with .DWG, no .3DS as it is an outdated file format.

When you use the FLM to link a drawing to 3ds Max, the objects have an active link with the original drawing in Revit. This means that any edit made to the drawing in Revit can be immediately updated in 3ds Max by reloading the link. With FLM you can establish, refresh, and break links to any number of linked files. You can also edit out unnecessary information by using layers and other filters.

Unfortunately ArchiCAD doesn't export DWG with material information, so working with FLM is no good at all. This is an old wish, and my biggest wish for AC. I hope to see it addressed in AC13.

That would be really helpful for those that model in AC and render in Max.
t is a shame ArchiCAD don't have a decent DWG exporter.

Graphisoft, please read this
AC26 > AC5 - Win10
Learn and get certified!