BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Switch off slab & roof edge lines

Paul King
Advisor
It would avoid a lot of workarounds if slabs,roofs & meshes in particular had a per edge display attribute that allowed edge lines to be switched off in plan & section - e.g. to allow healing between slabs on different layers
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
Your request is confusing. As meshes, slabs and roofs don't heal when they are on the same layer so I am why they should heal when they are not on the same layer?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Paul King
Advisor
My request is to allow them to heal whether or not on the same layer

The particular example with layers is that you are forced to break a single slab into pieces if you want some of it to disappear in some views (e.g. demolition plan), but otherwise appear in its intact state e.g. in an as-built plan

The problem currently being that by cutting slabs into pieces this way, you introduce joint lines that are not always wanted

- e.g. an as built plan should not show joints resulting from future demolition.

e.g a new plan where single floor finish covers both existing & new floor does not want to display a joint line.

Another common scenario in plan view is where a roof or floor slab is all new & all same material, but made up of several different thickness's below the common upper surface - which introduces unwanted joint lines.

(any variations should only be visible from below, not from above)

Faster & better & cleaner to directly control the joint line display rather than 2D patch

Joint control would work such that while two slabs are displaying and edges touching, while if one of them has edge display turned off, the joint will heal in plan . As soon as that slab is switched off via layer control, the remaining slab edge will now display .

So... my request effectivily means you can have your cake & eat it too with switchable slab edge control via layer combination

Hope that makes sense - much simpler than it might sound
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Erika Epstein
Booster
I had a feeling that would be your answer. We model differently. When I want the finished flooring to be continuous because it is continuous over different floor framing thicknesses I model that separately and continuously.
Typically I am wanting to see what is new v. existing.
I love the flexibility of the program that allows everyone to work as they like to.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Paul King
Advisor
Erika wrote:
I had a feeling that would be your answer. We model differently. When I want the finished flooring to be continuous because it is continuous over different floor framing thicknesses I model that separately and continuously.
Typically I am wanting to see what is new v. existing.
I love the flexibility of the program that allows everyone to work as they like to.
I often want to see new vs existing too - but frequently there are situations where new vs. existing is not what you want to show in that view

Even ignoring new vs. existing methodology though, there would be great benefits if there was user control of healing of slabs, roofs & meshes in plan - so you could nominally even create an object that appears as an assembly made out of all three - taking advantage of the different properties of each in 3D while retaining control of 2D appearance
Learn and get certified!