BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad vs Sketchup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Further to my email a few months ago now which some may remember in which I slagged off Archicad and stated that Autocad and 2d was still the way to go I want to modify that statement.

Ive tried Sketchup recently and god does that program poo all over Archicad! Its amazing and its so intuitive and easy to use. Its not like Archicad at all.

So now I am convinced that the way to go is Sketchup for up to planning/concepts and then converting to 2d Autocad after planning. I cerainly dont see Archicad featuring in the future of architecture much at all unless you are a house designer.

I would certainly ask any doubters to try Sketchup and then tell me I am wrong. I know the argument for archicad is its true BIM 'and all that' but I dont need 'all that'. I need a simple way of doing client friendly 3d designs and Sketchup is it. What I dont need is Archicads inflexible and complex object based mentality. I just dont need it.

Ive just done a great looking 3d house in Sketchup in 3 days that would have taken me a month to do in Archicad. And no I wouldnt have then saved the wroking drg time because you cant use Archicad to do working drawings I can tell you that as a fact.

So you see I havent changed my mind, I dont like Archicad as I am a design orientated architect not an IT freak.
65 REPLIES 65
Eduardo Rolon
NOT knowing how to do something does not mean that it cannot be done. It just means that you don't know how to do it. That is ok because then you can learn.

Nats,

Nobody is forcing you to use Archicad, you don't have to.

This type of post is the " My pencil is better than yours so you are wrong post".

I am not less or more of an architect because I don't follow your commandments.

BTW user and teacher of Autocad (since R12), SketchUp (since R02), Archicad (R07).
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel like I'm in a teenage chat-room!

You are the first person I've heard saying Autocad was better than AC in 2D for years! Is it better in dimensioning, or text , or fills?!? Or in dragging and multiplying? I have to check R2008 - it seems they must have made some major changes since R2006!

SketchUp is a wonderful application but it has been made for a different purpose than AC!

By the way, why don't you show your great 3D creation?

I am a user and teacher - AC (since v4.5), Autocad (since R12).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I began working in Autocad version 10. The best version was 12 in MSDOS. Nice version in deed.

Since three or four years ago, I was looking a 3D soft for "making jump to the space". I was trying Arris, AllPlan of Nemestcheck, Arcplus, Datacad, even ADT of Autodesk...

And one day, I found SketchUp. Nice soft in deed! Easy to use and quick in results. I'm using it for showing a quick results for my clients.

And Archicad? Great!! Why? Easy answer: connect 3D construccion with datadase for measurements and, with the great idea: BIM, connects with structural and isolated soft. I decided buying AC just for it: the BIM and IFC. Just what I need.

Autocad? The best soft for drawing, only for drawing.

SketchUp? The best soft for skecthing and quick results

ArchiCAD? the BEST soft for Arquitectural world. The IFC connect, the workgroup and BIM are the bests ideas I ever seen long time ago. And runs in mac!

I know that my comments will be welcomed us, but thanks to ArchiCAD, I made the connection between software calculating structures, facilities and calculating measurements of the building.

SkecthUp helps me teach the idea quickly. ArchiCAD helps me to calculate and estimate the estructure and make a "control project" as tight as possible: facilities, carpentry and measurement project

And, of course, be able to control the project in three dimensions

Regards:

Antonio
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
masterhabilis wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree with this. I used ACAD from R10 to 2002 (13 years), and AC for the past 3 years -- 2D drawing (drafting) is far superior in ArchiCAD.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Jere
Expert
Laura wrote:
masterhabilis wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree with this. I used ACAD from R10 to 2002 (13 years), and AC for the past 3 years -- 2D drawing (drafting) is far superior in ArchiCAD.
Completely agreed Laura. I've used a few different programs over the years, and have always felt that ArchiCAD is the premier program for 2D drafting.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Jere
Expert
nats wrote:
So now I am convinced that the way to go is Sketchup for up to planning/concepts and then converting to 2d Autocad after planning. I cerainly dont see Archicad featuring in the future of architecture much at all unless you are a house designer.
I'm not going to try to convince you which is better; I believe as individuals we should all choose our own favourites. But, I don't understand that statement "unless you are a house designer." Do you somehow see ArchiCAD as a house designer tool?
nats wrote:
I would certainly ask any doubters to try Sketchup and then tell me I am wrong. I know the argument for archicad is its true BIM 'and all that' but I dont need 'all that'. I need a simple way of doing client friendly 3d designs and Sketchup is it. What I dont need is Archicads inflexible and complex object based mentality. I just dont need it.

Ive just done a great looking 3d house in Sketchup in 3 days that would have taken me a month to do in Archicad. And no I wouldnt have then saved the wroking drg time because you cant use Archicad to do working drawings I can tell you that as a fact.
You can't use ArchiCAD to do working drawings is a fact? oh boy.... From the software I've used (including AutoCAD up to 2005), I can tell that my best working drawings have all been produced with ArchiCAD, and in less time.

I do somewhat agree that ArchiCAD isn't intuitive and it is overly complex in areas.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Eduardo Rolon
Nat is not talking about doing anything new. I did most of my Masters projects in Autocad R12 in 3D and extracting the 2d drawings from them in the early 90's. Same procedure as using SketchUp now with the disadvantage of not having all of SU's simplicity of use or Archicad's coordination and flexibility.

Therefore, "been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt and chose Archicad as my main tool".

As for R12 being the best release of Autocad I agree, to the point that I was planning to run it in a Virtual Machine (DOS running under Fusion) but my floppies didn't survive the time trip.
exterior derecha.jpg
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
Why entertain this guy? He's found a solution he likes. And he knows when to use the word "poo".

I was recently consulting on the production of an entire city block multi-family housing project at a long-term Archicad firm. Their new partner had SketchUp skills [but no Archicad] and did the development permit for an entire 30 storey building in SketchUp. A fine job. Of course, on this project, there were no comparative material quantities done, nor any energy studies, nor any serious coordinated revisions made, but the built form was well defined there for superficial evaluation. [My opinion after seeing the produced images was that a skilled Archicad operator might have been faster and also gleaned more information]

However, my observation is that anyone who feels that SketchUp and 2D drafting is superior to Archicad - for a real project of any size - can only be coming from a naive viewpoint:

1: never been close to those who have high Archicad skill - his three day SketchUp house would be two hours in a skilled Archicad user's hands. Seeing how skilled operators work is essential since the decline in Archicad's "intuitiveness" must be replaced with a one-on-one "showing of the ropes".

2: never managed the evolution of a large building project - in the real world, as compared to the fantasy of the design world, things always change. Once you see the benefits of a coordinated model "down the line", making unlinked 2D drafting changes is idiotic.

3: never needed comparative building information - the exact problem of applying Archicad building components that our poster identifies is exactly the liberator of real building from vague fantasy. Needing to manipulate building elements informs the dream, often sadly.

On the other hand, SketchUp is a prophetic application. It is going to change how most architects describe architecture. I absolutely sit with our initial poster by observing that SketchUp provides an appealing bridge to the 3D design world that Archicad does not. In 1992, when I started in Archicad, it had melody. But not now. That melody is driven into the ground. I'm glad that i had a chance to grow with the program over that last sixteen years. Today, I would be overwhelmed to learn Archicad and would probably be relying on some unproductive and superficial SketchUpintounlinkeddrafting approach.

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse"
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
A very nice post, Dwight. I was just going to tell him (?) to F-off back to La La land.

3 days in SketchUp = slow
Learn and get certified!