BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cutting a part of a profiled sheet. How?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to cut a part of my profiled sheet. Take a look at the picture:

How can i do that? Just to add, that the cutted part needs to me round (it is a part of an circles arc).
I tried using Solid Elements operations, and intersect my profiled sheet with the wall in a shape of arc, and then tried to extrude (just extrude, and with downwards, and upwards extrusion) but as i though so, i didn`t worked (it worked in a way that the part of the profiled sheet where it intesects the wall, was extruded, and i wanted to extrude it in that area plus the whole left part).

How can i do this? Please help.

Thanks for the reply.
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't understand what you are trying to do, let us break it up into 2 problems:

What shap are you trying to achieve? The floorplan show a rectangle piece of sheet, from which you want to cut off a triangular piece. Yet in your post you said you used an arc? Please post a 3d image.

SEO did not work? Why not draw a piece of slab (on the SEO operator layer) with enough height to remove the triangular shape (then hide the slab)
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can use the marqui to cut the profiled sheet. Magic-wand it to the line-work that outlines the shape you want left.
Then save it as a library part. View this in the 3D window from the angle you will place it and then save as a library part.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
nedostizni wrote:
I want to cut a part of my profiled sheet.
That object has parameters to the angle of the cut to the end - see the illustration to the left of the attached image.

If that doesn't provide enough flexibility, take a look at OBJECTiVE. You can cut any GDL object as many times as you like, and it looks good in 2D and 3D (and it's very quick):
  • 1) Use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split and trace a line where cut is required
    2) The offcut can be retained or deleted as required. Note that the split objects have all the same parameters etc as the original.
    3) And of course the split objects look fine in 3D

Split.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can`t post an 3d image right, now, because of some problems with my PC.
The cutted part is not a triangle, as a side of a profile sheet that needs to be cut is curved (as a part of an arch, with large radius), not lineal. For better understandment, i realy need to post an 3d image, but i can`t do that right now (because of the problem i posted above).

Sorry for inconvinience, i will try to check all the solutions you gave me, in the next following days. Thanks.
Barry Kelly
Either create a slab the shape of what you want to cut away and use a Solid Element Operation to cut away the shhet or get Ralph's OBJECTiVE add-on.
I don't have it but it looks pretty darn good.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Either create a slab the shape of what you want to cut away and use a Solid Element Operation to cut away the shhet or get Ralph's OBJECTiVE add-on.
I don't have it but it looks pretty darn good.
Barry.
thanks for the answer. If i have saw it well, the Objective add on is not free, and i can`t pay it, at least not right now.
I don`t think i can solve this problem with Solid Element Operation, here take a look at what i have done and it didn`t worked:
nedostizni wrote:
I tried using Solid Elements operations, and intersect my profiled sheet with the wall in a shape of arc, and then tried to extrude (just extrude, and with downwards, and upwards extrusion) but as i though so, i didn`t worked (it worked in a way that the part of the profiled sheet where it intesects the wall, was extruded, and i wanted to extrude it in that area plus the whole left part).
also, when i remove the object that extrudes the plofiled sheet, the cutted part on the sheets gets back to the origin.
Aussie John
Newcomer
For SEO you need to put the cutting object into a hidden layer if it is for cutting purposes only. Increase the size of the cutting object so it cuts away all the unwanted bits. If it is hidden it doesn't matter.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Barry Kelly
Make sure your slab completely covers the part of the roof sheet that you want to remove.
Then just a simple "Subtraction" will suffice.

Or you can use subtract with upward or downward extrusion if you want.

As Aussie John said place the operator in a layer that can be hidden.
The layer I use (as shown here) is also set to wire frame view.
Turn the layer off and you can only see the cut object.

Delete the operator and the cutting will no longer happen and the sheet will be back to normal.

But note this will have absolutely no effect to the 2D view.
The sheet will appear as it always did.
You will need to use a white or background coloured fill to cover it up.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Aussie John
Newcomer
Barry wrote:
The layer I use (as shown here) is also set to wire frame view.
good idea
Barry wrote:
But note this will have absolutely no effect to the 2D view.
The sheet will appear as it always did.
You will need to use a white or background coloured fill to cover it up.
A known pain but I guess would be tricky to code.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!