BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sloped curved roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm working in a semicircular building with a sloped curved roof. For some reason the roof height varies at the lower/upper part of the roof instead to be the same across each of them.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a hard time making out what you mean. A picture would be good.
Dwight
Newcomer
Use a ramp object.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to attach a 324k .png file but it doesn't work. How can I attached the file? I choose the browse option and also try the add attachment but it doesn't upload.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Image size is limited to 256KB according to the FAQ. You could convert to JPG with some added compression to get the size down.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Here's a funky roof I've recently put together with a combination of MESHES and COMPLEX PROFILED WALLS...

Throw in some SEO's for fun...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here we go...
Roof.jpg
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
So now your question has meaning.....

Yes, the parapet hts will vary because the ROOF TOOL uses a single PIVOT LINE.

You could either use a

1. MESH, but be careful if you are looking for something that's PLANAR...

2. Use a COMPLEX PROFILED WALL that is drawn to the shape of your longest roof section. Then install as a curved wall and SEO'd to the Plan shape you want.

One method of accomplishing #2 here, is that you install a SLAB that's the PLAN SHAPE you want and stick the PROFILED WALL on an SEO (hidden layer). By using the INTERSECTION seo, you can use the Slab as the target. Then, each time you select the slab, you will see the REAL roof shape.

3. You could also do it like they would probably build it... Add in the ROOF STRUCTURAL MEMBERS (trusses, I presume) and do a ROOF between each pair of trusses. This will end up SEGMENTED, but your parapet discrepancy would be very small.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Dwight
Newcomer
Assuming that the roof slope focuses on the center of the curve, you'd use an array of pie-shaped roof planes to make the roof using the pivot line of each perpendicular to the radial.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys you're the best!!! Thank you so much for solving this issue. I use the "pie-roof" option and looks fine!
Learn and get certified!