BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trim to roof anomoly

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a roof with valleys and when I trim the walls below to the two roofs forming the valley I get this little skinny piece of wall sticking up right through the valley. Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it?

Rick
22 REPLIES 22
Dwight
Newcomer
Yup.
The trimmer sees a gap and lets some wall through.

Either you are a sloppy modeler [like me] or the routine is misinterpreting.
I overlap the roofs to do the trim function and then move them back.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Select one roof plane, with the roof tool active. CRTL click the edge of the valley on the other roof plane. Repeat with the other roof plane.

See old ArchiGuide on roofs - all the basic techniques explained.

http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/issue15/roofs.html

Still valid ... some stuff is obsolete, but the basic principles are there.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dwight wrote:
I overlap the roofs to do the trim function and then move them back.
This is an advantage of Trim to Roof over Solid Element Operations. Trimmed elements will stay trimmed even if you remove the trimming ones.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Djordje wrote:
Select one roof plane, with the roof tool active. CRTL click the edge of the valley on the other roof plane. Repeat with the other roof plane.

See old ArchiGuide on roofs - all the basic techniques explained.

http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/issue15/roofs.html

Still valid ... some stuff is obsolete, but the basic principles are there.
To add to this one: sometimes the roof edges at the valley are not vertical. You can select the common Roof edge for each roof and make sure its angle is set to Vertical.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
select the two roofs and place your cursor where they intersect.
select the right-most pet palette button . this gives you the ROOF EDGE TRIM box. Here choose the Mitered radio button.
roof intersection.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Fran_ois Chatelain
Contributor
Hi Erika,
why would you choose mitered in that particular example;-)

Cheers
Francois
François Chatelain
Worldwide Digital Imaging
Formerly posting as RanXerox
"A little bump will help blur your reflections"
Erika Epstein
Booster
François,
I'm in the habit of just picking mitered although in the example shown I would get the same result had I chosen vertical.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Erika!

Just when I thought there was nothing I hadn't seen before ... you present a strange new dialog!

I've always used ctrl-click (cmd-click) to cause roof edges to automatically meet and trim - or used the pet palette on a single roof element to get the roof edge angle customization dialog.

But, I never knew you could select two roofs and mercedes-down on their 'joint' to get this joint customization dialog. I just searched, and cannot find this dialog in the online help or the PDF Reference Guide.

Using this method doesn't work for me in a small test example in AC 12. I joined a 30 degree roof to a 45 degree one and viewed in section to verify the linework I was seeing in 3D. The 'vertical' joint works, but when I select 'mitered', the angle of only one of the two selected roofs is adjusted - the other is still vertical. I would expect miter to bisect the angle between the two roofs. You can see in the attached screenshot how the roof plane on the right is using the edge angle for 'miter' - but the left roof plane did not get re-adjusted.

I would have to manually use the edge angle palette on the first, read the angle, do the math, and then select the edge of the other roof for the complementary angle.

Did 'miter' work in earlier versions of AC with dissimilar sloped roofs? Wonder if this is a bug or user error on my part.

Thanks for showing me something new, even if the implementation might be buggy! 😉

Cheers,
Karl
Picture 1.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Yeah, just tested again in case I didn't really have the roof edges in 'full contact'. So, I cmd-clicked each roof edge to make sure they joined (which resulted in a mitered joint). Then, I selected both roofs, moused on the joint, and choose vertical - and as the screenshot here shows, only one roof plane was switched to vertical - the other was left with its original edge angle.

So, I think its a bug.

Karl
Picture 1.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!