BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Just throwing this out there...

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Our firm decided to move to ArchiCAD 4 years ago now, and implementation started 3 1/2 years ago. Everyone has been trained (50 or so employees -- due to layoffs over the summer, we are now down to 20 users), and 100% of our current projects are on ArchiCAD.

So, the PAs (Project Architects) of my firm were called into the conference room this morning and asked how to improve the inefficiency we've been experiencing over the past 6 months. One solution was to become a 'hybrid office' and leave it up to the PAs whether to use ArchiCAD or AutoCAD for production.

I said this would be a disaster... what do y'all think?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
67 REPLIES 67
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like Alan Greenspan opinion about the financial market... "Let the market regulate itself!..."
Karl Ottenstein
Laura wrote:
Everyone has been trained (50 or so employees -- due to layoffs over the summer, we are now down to 20 users)
That has to be emotionally painful for those gone and those still there ... but the 30 trained at your firm's expense may be snapped up by other firms who were desperately looking for ArchiCAD-experienced people before the economic meltdown happened. When things do recover, the smart firms will bounce back the fastest.
So, the PAs (Project Architects) of my firm were called into the conference room this morning and asked how to improve the inefficiency we've been experiencing over the past 6 months. One solution was to become a 'hybrid office' and leave it up to the PAs whether to use ArchiCAD or AutoCAD for production.

I said this would be a disaster... what do y'all think?
Hmmm. How do you spell 'idiots'. The more important question is, what do the partners/owners think, or are they out of day-to-day management?

Good luck!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Imlementation is more about a mindset and less about a specific platform choice. Was there ever a conscious decision expressed to stop the use of ArchiCAD or has it been there in the background all along.

Its easier to blame the problem on the computer stuff than it is to really assess what the team needs to do to stay focused.

StrawCAD?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Aaron wrote:
Imlementation is more about a mindset and less about a specific platform choice. Was there ever a conscious decision expressed to stop the use of ArchiCAD or has it been there in the background all along.
Are you referring to ArchiCAD or AutoCAD? My response is that if anything is holding us back, it's been the AutoCAD crutch. The PAs have been the most resistive to being trained and actually using the software -- this is the disconnect. As we all know, the BIM paradigm calls for a different process than the traditional design-and-draft scenario -- without the PAs in the loop, the prioritization of tasks is all wrong.

The insistence to use ACAD on a last few remaining projects has hurt us as well -- AC trained and competent staff being put on ACAD projects, and all that training going out the window -- and then needing to be retrained! Uggh... I could go on and on...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Hi Laura,
Sorry to hear all this.
What were the 'inefficiencies' you mentioned? Were the listed, discussed and adressed? Two programs could easily lead to more problems. It sounds like some of the staff didn't fully embrace Archicad. Is their discord part of the 'inefficiencies'?.

I doubt turning PAs loose to choose their own programs will really help. Staff woud then have to know two programs well, not just one.
Is management really looking down the road to consequences of this decision?

How disheartening for you after all your efforts and successes with archicad. What does this mean for you?

Good luck!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
The first thing I asked was "define inefficiencies" -- apparently, it's people spending too much time on tasks (exceeding fee) mixed with recording too much general office (non-billable) time. The answer is obvious: we need more billable work; however, in lieu of getting more work, what can be done?

I suspect BIM may becoming a scapegoat in these hard times. Implementation has not been easy, but at this point any inefficiencies are coming from people not understanding it, and certainly those not using it.

As for me, I don't plan on managing two different CAD applications, so they'd have to find someone willing to dedicate themselves to AutoCAD [good luck there].
Stress Co_
Advisor
Laura wrote:

Another solution would be to hire new PAs well versed in (or willing to learn and use) ArchiCAD.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
I suspect BIM may becoming a scapegoat in these hard times. Implementation has not been easy, but at this point any inefficiencies are coming from people not understanding it, and certainly those not using it.
My own scenario was exactly the same just 6 weeks Ago
BIM was the scapegoat
Implementation had been bloody hard
All inefficiencies came from people not WANTING to understand the Process and those with NO intention of using it BACKED up by a (Architect/manager) who Hated It & just wanted to get the drawings out anyway he could in his efforts to take over the Hot Seat Position.

Time to Move ON
Anonymous
Not applicable
In almost all corporate (group) decisions, it MUST be supported from the top down, or your dead.
Bier
Learn and get certified!