BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add Material Status attribute to Morphs & Meshes

DGSketcher
Legend

As it is unlikely that we will see the Material Status (Core / Finish / Other) assigned directly to Building Materials any time soon. And the Morph & Mesh tools can't get around this using Composites or Complex profiles, I would like to propose that AC enable the attribute to be assigned in the Element settings of those tools.

Given the growing dependence on Morphs for complex shapes to get around the 2D SEO failures and general modelling, this would allow us to save on unnecessary layers created purely to enable Morphs used as finishes to be hidden in line with Partial Structure Display settings.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Just to use the proper terminology, we are talking about the Skin Type/Component Type setting of Composites/Complex Profiles that are taken into consideration by the Partial Structure Display settings.

Any reason you are proposing this for the Morph and Mesh tools only and not other tools as well (e.g. Stairs, Railings, GDL-based element types)?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Just trying to set a low bench mark for fixing a frustration which I, and probably many others, have to manage on a daily basis e.g. creating Morphs that need to respond to PSD but don't, and therefore need managed with their own Layers to reflect their location in the model e.g. Wall - Features, Roof - Flashings etc. If there is a way round it with beams, walls, elements I will use them, but sometimes a Morph or Mesh is the only practical solution without filling the model with many complex SEOs. Simple case I had recently - A row of columns with the base cut at one angle and the top cut at another perpendicular to the first. You can't do that with the column tool, (but that's a different wish already requested). Or how about a one piece cranked and tapered lead flashing? These are basic modelling forms which need Morphs and I don't want to create a new layer every time I create one just because they can't respond to the PSD settings with all the other composite and complex elements that share the same application.

Stairs & Railings - Is there a problem I don't use them that much? Do you think it aligns with the basic modelling problem of Morphs & Meshes?

GDL based element types - That is down to the developer. I have several complex objects that are fully responsive to the PSD settings. It isn't a difficult feature to add where needed. 

Hope that clarifies my thinking Laszlo.

BR

Trevor

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

OK, got it.

For me, the ability of Stairs to respond to Partial Structure Display settings would be a great addition, while I think the Railing tool is very versatile and can be used for the modeling of many other geometries beside Railings.

But different strokes for different folks as they say. 😉

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!