BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD vs. VectorWorks

Geoff Briggs
Mentor
ArchiCAD rocks.

VectorWorks sucks.

VectorWorks is not now nor never will be BIM. It's for cheapskate cretins who cannot handle a real program like ArchiCAD.
Petri wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
Much as I would love to get into a pissing contest

Well, I think this pretty much sums up the intellectual level and capacity of ArchiCAD users.
Oh yea? Well your mother uses autocad
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant (must be said with British accent)
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
It's clear the VectorWorks crazies all suffer from Small Man Syndrome (if you know what I mean). Why else would they be here wasting everyone's time, when no one seemed to have any problem with VectorWorks, or VectorWorks users, except to channel their inadequacies.

Either that or they're autodesk moles sent to sow discontent.

Frankly I don't know which is worse. I think they should be forced to learn microstation as punishment.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Well, Geoff, you don't seem to be getting much action here. Hard to argue with the facts, I guess.

BTW, I hadn't noticed it before, but I'm predicting your firm is going to win this year's award for "Most Solipsistic Design Firm".
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
mikem wrote:
An observation from an Architect who has licenses for both Archicad and Vectorworks Architect, and uses both.
- Archicad is a bit sexier at the front end in the design phase, but its inferior 2D capability makes completing the contract documentation more of a chore.
- Archicad has a much higher cost of ownership, and far too much capability has to be bought as add ons (For the Archicad ownership price most of the Cigraph add ons should be part of the program).
- Vectorworks is much more adaptable and versatile, and can be used for much more than just architecture.
- Vectorworks allows you to choose how you want to work: in 3D or 2D or somewhere in between (there are times when it is better to draw than model).
- Vectorworks doesn't require expensive add ons to get functionality. Its cost of ownership is therefore far less.
- Vectorworks is not that far behind Archicad in the front end design capability these days. My view is that with a few more iterations it will more than match it with both Archicad and Revit.
I'm tired of people referring to the "inferior 2D capability" of AC -- these are people who clearly do not know how to use the software. Many claim (and I agree) that 2D drafting in AC is actually superior to that in ACAD. Get some training/read the manual!
mikem wrote:
Vectorworks allows you to choose how you want to work: in 3D or 2D or somewhere in between (there are times when it is better to draw than model).
...and AC doesn't???
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Richard wrote:
I'm predicting your firm is going to win this year's award for "Most Solipsistic Design Firm"
Sorry but I don't recognize any honors except those I bestow on myself
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
No one's taken up your flung-down gauntlet, Geoff. Wonder why?

Wish they would tho -- I have NOT been satisfied with Mikem Oz' or Petri's descriptions of VW's capabilities... I know VW too well. I know VW better than I know AC frankly, and what I read of AC here tells me that AC is a few steps up the food chain from VW. This fact is mitigated by the respective capabilities of the different programs' users, which tends to level the playing field.

Signed, your local Autodesk mole. (Oh wait -- am I not doing my job? Dang.)
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Laura wrote:
mikem wrote:
An observation from an Architect who has licenses for both Archicad and Vectorworks Architect, and uses both./.................
mikem wrote:
Vectorworks allows you to choose how you want to work: in 3D or 2D or somewhere in between (there are times when it is better to draw than model).
...and AC doesn't???
Of interest to all,

Mike is in fact the local reseller here for VW.

But I feel this may go as the "other thread", and may need our moderator's attention also

Happy new year to all.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rod: A-HA.

Mikem was debating from a weak standpoint, and the fact that he's a reseller (like me) is quite telling. I work full-time with an architectural firm, and have no qualms about the ups and downs of BIM. I wish Mikem had disclosed that fact. <sigh>
TomWaltz
Participant
they do have a point about the cost of ownership. Archicad was a little pricey to begin with, and now that it's up to $795 per upgrade per year, it's REALLY gotten expensive to own.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!